OUR LIVES ARE A GIFT FROM GOD. HOW WE LIVE IT IS OUR GIFT TO HIM.
What is Stewardship of Time and Talent?
Why Is This Important?
How Can I Be a Good Steward of My Time and Talents?
Time...don't let it slip away!
- How do I "kill time"?
- When have I most appreciated time?
- What do I think God wants me to do with my time?
- What obstacles keep me from being a good steward of my time?
Reflection by Leo Rock, S.J, Killing Time
How do I kill time? Let me count the ways.
By worrying about things over which I have no control.
Like the past. Like the future.
By harboring resentment and anger over hurts real or imagined.
By disdaining the ordinary, or rather,
what I so mindlessly call ordinary.
By concern over what's in it for me.
rather than what's in me for it.
By failing to appreciate what is
because of might-have-beens,
These are some of the ways I kill time.
Jesus didn't kill time.
He gave life to it. His own.
What Are My Talents?
Talents include being a good listener, being able to organize people, relating well to children or teens, being patient with others and numerous other less-recognized gifts. Our gifts often change during our lives: in our youth our gift may be energy; when we're older, it is knowledge. We are each one-of-a-kind creations of God with unique contributions to make in this world.
As Christians we recognize that our gifts of talents and skills are meant to be cultivated and shared with others, beginning with our family and friends, with our parish community and with the world. Sharing the gift of ourselves is how we express our gratitude for being created as a unique and gifted people.
How can I be a good steward of my talents?
Practical ways to share your talents.
- Be available to your family and friends. Be open to the needs of those around you and be willing to provide assistance.
- Be an active member of the parish. Your parish is enriched and strengthened by the participation of its members.
- Get involved in your community. You touch and are touched by many people and groups who could benefit by your gifts -- school, homeless shelter, nursing home, hospital, community center and others.
- Advocate for the things you believe in. Your voice can make a difference in your community, the nation and the world.
An Invitation to Action
As personal commitment to be a good steward of my time and talents, I will:
- Do something for my relationship with God
- Pray/Meditate to God's mission for me
- Join a small group, EFM, or DOCC
- Ask for forgiveness or forgive someone
- Do the best I can in everything I do
- Share myself with those around me
- Visit a sick friend
- Spend time with family and friends
- Pray for those in need
- Offer assistance to a friend or neighbor
- Get involved with my parish family
- Regularly worship at your own church and participate fully in the liturgies
- Get to know the people in the parish
- Seek out ways that I can share my gifts
- Responding to requests from your parish
- Get involved in the community
- Volunteer at my children's or local school
- Visit the elderly or shut-ins in my area
- Join a neighborhood group
- Volunteer with a social service group