“In the boundaries of this site lie the remains of the slaves and former slaves of the Albert McCoy (1843-1925) family. Scant historical documentation prevents any reliable names and dates of burials save for those mentioned on the memorial marker placed by the McCoy descendants in 1928. Rough dates for burials extend from the antebellum era (1840’s) through the post-Emancipation period (1880’s). Given the size of the cemetery, it is estimated that 25-50 plots may exist on the site.
"The McCoy Slave Cemetery bears many of the indicators common to slave cemeteries in the United States. These include cultural practices that mix remnants of African traditions with those of Christian beliefs. Firstly, notice the use of periwinkle as ground cover; it was selectively easy to sow and easier to maintain than grass. Next, notice the stones that make up the center memorial; permanent grave markers were not typical to slave cemeteries – when, fieldstones were place by relatives to designate gravesites. Finally, although not negotiable, most slave cemeteries follow an east-west burial pattern: two explanations suggest reason for this: individuals were buried facing East towards their ancestral homeland, and those who were Christian were buried to face the eastern sunrise in preparation for the day of resurrection.
"Thomas McCoy (1873-1949), son of Albert McCoy and member of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, established a perpetual trust to the parish in the 1940’s for the care and upkeep of the cemetery at St. Mark’s as well as the slave cemetery. His bequest has been faithfully maintained by the members of the church since his death.”